Vertical Gallery is very proud to present ‘RE:TURN,’ a solo exhibit featuring new work by stencil and street artist Martin Whatson.
‘RE:TURN,’ which runs Nov. 30-Dec. 5 at SCOPE Miami Beach, booth F013, assembles close to three dozen original pieces, including 12 works on paper, 20 canvases and two sculptures, all further refining and evolving Whatson’s vibrant, deeply expressive synthesis of graffiti, stencil art and urban decay.
Norwegian-born Whatson is best known for a signature style juxtaposing colorful calligraphic scrawls against monochrome voids. His images both recreate and transform urban landscapes, exploring the frisson between explosive, abstract graffiti art and muted, often poignant stencils of animals, ballerinas and historical figures.
Whatson first attracted attention in connection with the Oslo graffiti scene of the 1990s, drawing inspiration from the city’s balance of classical and modernist architecture. By the dawn of the 21st century, his work added layers of hand-cut stencils — subtle yet striking images that Whatson embellishes with bold, spray-painted strokes in a range of colors and textures. His work is now found on walls and in private collections across the globe: in addition, Whatson has headlined solo exhibitions in London, Paris, Tokyo and Los Angeles.
Known for presenting a wide assortment of groundbreaking contemporary work, SCOPE Miami Beach returns to the sands of Ocean Drive and 8th Street for its 2021 installment. SCOPE Miami Beach welcomes 140 international exhibitors at its beachfront pavilion, with a focus on the New Contemporary art movement.
There is no collector preview for ‘RE:TURN.’ All sales will take place at SCOPE Miami Beach 2021. Visit www.scope-art.com for tickets.
November 30 – December 5, 2021
Vertical Gallery booth F013
SCOPE Miami Beach
We've received many requests about the show and will try to answer everything here:
- There will be over 30 works available in-person at SCOPE Miami Beach Nov 30 - Dec 5. Only originals, no print release.
- Purchases may be made with credit card or cash. 7% Miami Dade county sales tax will be added to each purchase.
- Limit of one work per person/family.
- First come, first served at the booth. People have asked us about lining up early. My understanding is you can line up whenever you want. Remember there are over 100 exhibitors at the fair, so people may be lining up for entrance to visit other booths as well.
- There will be no preview. We will be posting images to our Instagram stories page on November 28 & 29. This will be the only way to get a preview of the work in the show.
- All work may be picked up in person on Sunday December 5, 11a-8pm. This is the final day of the art fair. If we will be shipping your artwork, shipping will be charged at time of purchase. Shipping address must be provided at time of purchase. Work will ship upon return to Chicago, so we expect to ship the week of December 15.
- We've given out all our comp passes, so tickets can be purchased on the SCOPE website.
Thank you, see you in Miami!